Ólafsvík City is a historic small town located on the northern end of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. During the 1600s and 1700s, it was a commercial trade hub for vessels around Iceland. Today Ólafsvík City in Iceland has a population of 1000+ people and is known for its beautiful mountain views, fishing, and sports culture.
What to do in Ólafsvík?
While Ólafsvík is a small Iceland town, there are many things to do in Ólafsvík. It has many local attractions for visitors to explore and enjoy. Some of the popular areas people visit are listed below:
- Grundfjordur Public Pool: A sports center with a public pool, hot tubs, and a sports hall.
- Djupalonssandur Beach: known locally as the black lava pearl beach with black sand and high lava walls.
- The Singing Cave’ of Songhellir: A cave that is famous for its magical echoes and acoustic qualities.
What are the Best Hotels in Ólafsvík?
Ólafsvík has a sophisticated tourism scene for its size. It has many great hotel opportunities; the Best Hotels in Ólafsvík include the following:
- Welcome Apartments Olafsvik: A highly rated hotel with deluxe apartment-style rooms with a great mountain view.
- North Star Snæfellsnes: A 3-star hotel by the ocean that is also near Grundfjordur public pool.
What are the Tours for Ólafsvík?
Thanks to its location by the ocean, a glacier, a mountain, and the Iceland wilderness, there are great tour options for those wanting to explore the area around Ólafsvík. Some tours for Ólafsvík include:
- Olafsvik Whale Watching Tour: A cruise in the surrounding Atlantic ocean where people can encounter fascinating wildlife like the orca and sperm whales.
- Olafsvik Village Tour: A tour of the historic fishing town, including the museum, harbor, theater, and cultural center.
What are the Best Restaurants in Ólafsvík?
Ólafsvík has many fresh seafood restaurants thanks to its identity as a small fishing town. There are many other restaurants as well. Some of the best restaurants in Ólafsvík are listed below:
- Sker Restaurant: A dine-in restaurant famous for sourdough pizza and its selection of shellfish.
- Reks: A high-end restaurant where customers can enjoy a visually pleasing burger or fish dish.
What is the total area of Ólafsvík?
Ólafsvík encompasses a total area of 684 square kilometers or 425 square miles.
How is the weather in Ólafsvík Town?
Ólafsvík is generally temperate but has short and cold summers. The weather in Ólafsvík town includes many cloudy days and rainy days compared to sunny days. This town has a high level of precipitation, even during the driest months.
What is the Postal Code of Ólafsvík?
Ólafsvík uses the 355 and 356 postal codes.
Who are the Notable People from Ólafsvík?
The town is home to several notable people from Ólafsvík, including:
- Alexander Stefánsson: An Icelandic politician who was also the former minister for social affairs.
- Guðmundur Guðmundsson: Icelandic handball player and coach of the national team for Iceland.
What are the other Close Towns from Iceland to Ólafsvík?
If you make a trip to Ólafsvík, you may pass through these other close towns from Iceland to Ólafsvík, including:
- Hellissandur: a small village dating back to the 16th century. It is 9 km or 5.5 miles away from Ólafsvík.
- Stykkisholmur: a village 37 km or 22 miles away from Ólafsvík.
Are there any close Glaciers to Ólafsvík?
Yes, the Snæfellsjökull glacier is located south of Ólafsvík.
Are there any close Mountains to Ólafsvík?
Yes, a tall mountain called Ólafsvíkurenni overlooks the town of Ólafsvík.
Are there any close Volcanoes to Ólafsvík?
What are the Unique Sides of Ólafsvík in Iceland?
Ólafsvík is a town with a unique flavor and a storied history. Some of the unique sides of Ólafsvík in Iceland include the following.
- Pakkhus museum: An old trading store with three different floors that explores the unique culture of Ólafsvík.
- Bæjarfoss Waterfalls: known locally as the “town falls,” this waterfall is a beautiful view located right above a historic church.
What are the Camping Opportunities in Ólafsvík?
The Iceland wilderness near Ólafsvík has many great camping opportunities, including:
- Ólafsvík Camping Ground: A flat camping ground with toilets, hot showers, and cooking areas. There are fun walking paths, and it is within walking distance to town and a swimming pool.
- Campsite Ólafsvik: a beautiful campsite located on the northern shore. It has a children’s playground located at the base of a mountain.
Does Ólafsvík have a Sport Tourism Culture?
Yes, Ólafsvík has a sports tourism culture that revolves around Víkingur Ólafsvík, their local multi-sports club. Ólafsvík sports fans enjoy traveling to see their favorite teams participate in football, basketball, and swimming.