The small town of Hella is located in the southern part of Iceland. Hella City in Iceland is close to the Ytri-Rangá river and is close to some other beautiful natural areas like a volcano, mountains, highlands, and hot springs.
Originally Irish monks lived in the settlement until Hella grew into a small town. It has a population of 942 inhabitants and a large tourism industry.
What to do in Hella?
- Caves of Hella: A historical site with several beautiful man-made caves with an interesting story.
- Golden Circle: A set of three attractions popular in southern Iceland, including a park, waterfall, and hot springs.
- Ytri-Rang River: A beautiful river that features activities like salmon fishing, horse-riding, and hiking.
Where to Camp in Hella?
Because Hella contains so many natural attractions, you want to get as close to them as possible. Some of the places to camp out in Hella include the following:
- Gaddstadaflatir camping: A nice flat campsite near the riverfront with shower facilities and cooking kitchens.
- Árhús Cabins & Camping: Located off Route 1, this camping site features riverside lodging close to a waterfall.
What are the Best Hotels in Hella?
If camping out isn’t your thing, there are plenty of friendly hotels in Hella. Some of the best hotels in Hella are listed below:
- Stracta Hotel: An upper-scale 3-star hotel with hot tubs, saunas, buffet restaurant, and bar.
- Hotel Rangá: A four-star hotel with a fine dining restaurant and bar. Guests are treated to a rustic timber aesthetic surrounded by rural countryside.
What are the Tours for Hella?
Hella is a great central location to start different Iceland tours. Some of the Tours for Hella include the following:
- The Golden Circle from Hella: A tour of three of Southern Iceland’s most popular natural attractions that starts from Hella.
- Thorsmork from Hella: A 10-hour Jeep tour of nearby Thorsmork mountain.
What are the Best Restaurants in Hella?
Many great restaurants can satiate your hunger if you start to feel peckish while exploring Hella. Some of the best restaurants in Hella include:
- Restaurant Kanslarinn: Authentic Iceland cuisine, including horse steak and lamb dishes.
- Stracta Bistro: A small burger joint with delicious lamb steak and fish gratin.
Is there an Airport in Hella?
Yes, the airport in Hella is called the Hella airport.
What is the total area of Hella?
Hella has a total area of 1.9 square kilometers or 1.1 square miles.
How is the weather in Hella Town?
Hella has a temperate and generally warm climate. The Hella area experiences between 15-18 rainy days on average each month. Even the driest summer months of Hella will experience a large amount of precipitation.
Hella has an average annual temperature of 4°C or 40°F.
What is the Postal Code of Hella?
The town of Hella uses the 850 postal code.
Who are the Notable People from Hella?
There are a few notable people that were born in Hella. Some of these people include:
- Dagný Brynjarsdóttir: Male Icelandic football player.
- Karitas Tómasdóttir: Female Icelandic football player.
What are the other Close Towns from Iceland to Hella?
While exploring Hella, be sure to check out some of these other close towns from Iceland to Hella, including:
- Rauðilækur: A small village of 43 people located 2.8 km or 1.7 miles north on route 1.
- Oddi: A small town located 10 km or 6 miles east on route 1.
Are there any close Glaciers to Hella?
Yes, Hella is near a glacier park that contains the Myrdalsjokull glacier.
Are there any close Mountains to Hella?
Yes, a series of mountains called the Hella Mountains is close to the town of Hella.
Are there any close Volcanoes to Hella?
Yes, the active Hekla volcano is near the city of Hella.
What are the Unique Sides of Hella in Iceland?
Despite being such a small town that is often a stop on the way to other parts of Iceland, Hella has many unique sides to explore. Some of these unique sides include:
- Litla Lopasjoppan: A local crafts market with many great art pieces and souvenirs.
- Swimming: Hella has a large pool complete with water slides, a sauna, and a kid’s area. It is a surprisingly large attraction for the size of the town.
Can You See Northern Lights from Hella?
Yes, because of Hella’s location, it is a prime location to view the northern lights.
Does Hella have a Sport Tourism Culture?
Yes, although Hella does not have any notable sports clubs or teams to follow, it does have a pool and fitness center for people in the area who want to participate and watch sports.